As you have no doubt heard in news reports, last week the provincial government canceled the annual Direct Access Grants provided to arts and sports organizations. This affects DanceSport BC just as it affects other associations.
These funds have made it possible to produce the Robson Square Summertime Dance Series, and to cover a significant part of the annual SnowBall Classic budget.
In response, we are seeking corporate and private sponsorship funds to assist with these events. SnowBall Classic is hosting the World Cup Latin in 2010, which brings additional expenses because of IDSF regulations.
We are revising our SnowBall budget to deal with this reality. Thanks to our new location back at the Hyatt Regency hotel, we can seat many more spectators which means we can significantly increase revenue. In addition, the venue provides much more usable space for vendors. We ask the dance community to bear with us, understand the situation, and assist in any way possible. SnowBall is Vancouver’s key DanceSport competition and we wish to continue the tradition of quality, especially with the World Cup event and with the eyes of the world upon our city due to the upcoming 2010 Winter Olympic Games.
We’re also investigating other possible sources of provincial government support for these major initiatives, as they help put the province in the spotlight.
How can you help?
- If you operate a business, please consider advertising in the SnowBall program. If you are or know someone who operates a dance-related business, become a vendor at SnowBall and benefit from the spacious, easy-to-access vendor area.
- We also have many opportunities for SnowBall sponsorship. We are seeking a single title sponsor for naming rights, as well as sponsorship of various signage possibilities such as floor banners, seating signs and other ways to get logo recognition in front of the large, affluent SnowBall audience.
- Consider becoming a SnowBall Patron. Patrons can be individuals or companies, receiving tickets and special recognition for their financial contributions. For a very small investment, you can support a flag or trophy to help reduce our costs, receiving recognition as a SnowBall enthusiast in return.
- Encourage your friends and family to attend. While SnowBall has traditionally been well attended with some sell-out nights, this next year it is vital that the entire event is a completely sold-out weekend to maximize revenue.
- Offer your time as a volunteer at SnowBall. The more volunteers we have, the more we can reduce costs in a number of areas.
Please contact SnowBall chair Brian Dudley to express your interest as a sponsor or patron of the SnowBall Classic.
Robson Square for 2010 will require funding from outside sources, as DanceSport BC does not earn enough revenue to cover the costs of the program. We are seeking a title sponsor to allow the Robson Square summertime event to continue next year. Please contact Pinky Wong if you are interested in this prestigious opportunity.